The purpose of this research tool is to enable civil society organisations to conduct an independent appraisal of their country’s progress in fighting corruption, tackling illicit financial flows, and improving transparency and access to information, as national governments begin implementing the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development.
The tool aims to assist national chapters to identify areas where the national anti-corruption system leaves room for improvement and to collect data and information that will serve as a basis for compiling a "shadow report".
The data gleaned from this exercise can be used as an input into two processes. At the global level, this information can be used to complement National Voluntary Reviews at the High-Level Political Forum, while at national level, the information generated can feed into governmental SDG reporting processes taking place on a rolling basis in each country.
The SDG parallel reporting initiative is intended to strengthen chapters’ ability to engage in SDG advocacy, and adopt positions in regards to SDG implementation. It does this in five ways:
- First, it provides a systematic approach to identify and prioritise corruption-related SDG 16 issues at national level.
- Second, it provides a baseline assessment of a country’s anti-corruption framework, which can be used as a benchmark to monitor progress towards the 2030 targets.
- Third, it helps address problems inherent to the global indicator framework by proposing a range of alternative data sources and proxy indicators.
- Fourth, its findings can be used to engage government using internationally recognised channels, such as complementing and critiquing the official government-led Voluntary National Reviews.
- Fifth, it lends itself to the development of actionable recommendations, which can be used to engage constructively with various parties to suggest specific improvements.
Ultimately, the purpose of the exercise is to produce data that can be used to inform anti-corruption efforts and thereby improve implementation of the SDG framework across all goals.
The accompanying methodological note on how to complete the questionnaire can be found here.